I don’t know about you but I’m doing whatever the hell I can around the house to get it to warm up outside. So I picked up a bag of Meyer Lemons to make some Spring time recipes. First on my list was some Meyer Lemon Bars. I usual like sweet sweets; you know something chocolate-ty, creamy and with fruit. But today I wanted something fresh and light so here we are.
If you unfamiliar with Meyers Lemons, they are a hybrid of lemons and mandarin oranges. Unfortunately these sweet and sour treats are only available seasonal. You should start seeing them in stores around the end of December to May. Please take advantage of them, they can be used in cocktails, baking and endless amounts of recipes.
You can eat them at room temp when they are all gooey and soft or right out the fridge when they are gummier. I like them most the next day about an hour out the fridge.
For more servings you can cut the Meyer Lemon Bars smaller but that’s no fun, I like healthy (or unhealthy depending who you talk to) sizes. Also adjust the tartness with the amount of lemon juice. I was never really a super sweet and sour person so I use less juice. If that’s you, try using 1/3 cup or even 1/4 cup instead of 1/2.
Do you like Lemon Bars? What’s your favorite warm weather treat?
- 1 cup Butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Confectioner's Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (set rack to the middle)
- Oil 9x13 baking dish
- Mix Flour and Butter until combined. Mix in Confectioner's Sugar, Salt and Vanilla Extract.
- Spread dough into baking dish. (You may need to lightly wet spoon or spatula to get it to spread.)
- Poke holes in dough with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are a light golden brown. (Timing depends on your baking dish and oven; the edges will let you know)
- Beat Eggs and Yolk together then mix in Granulated Sugar and Flour until combined. Mix in Lemon Juice and Zest until combined.
- Pour filling over crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes. (Timing depends on your baking dish and oven; you should see a thin white crust)
- Cool before cutting.
- Dust with Confectioner's Sugar
- Adjust tartness with more or less Lemon Juice.
- You can also garnish with a meringue topping.